San Francisco Girls Chorus School Auditions
May 31 - June 2, 2018 - berkeley & San Francisco!
Auditions for the San Francisco Girls Chorus School for girls ages 7 and up are held each Spring in San Francisco and Berkeley. For older applicants, some experience reading music is necessary.
The Chorus School offers its programs in two locations: San Francisco and Berkeley. SFGC also offers a non-auditioned Preparatory Chorus for younger singers ages 4-7. No previous musical training is required to participate in the Preparatory Chorus.
For the 2018-19 year, Chorus School auditions will be held on the following days:
- Thursday, May 31, 2018, from 3-6pm in San Francisco (Kanbar Performing Arts Center, 44 Page St)
- Friday, June 1, 2018, from 3-6pm in North Berkeley (Crowden Music Center, 1475 Rose St)
- Saturday, June 2, 2018, from 11am-4pm in San Francisco (Kanbar Performing Arts Center, 44 Page St)
If you are interested in having your daughter audition, please complete the Audition Information Form and a member of the staff will contact you in the near future to schedule an audition and answer any questions you may have.
Open Rehearsals: A Day in the Life of a Chorister!
Come see and hear what the San Francisco Girls Chorus is all about! Rehearsals are open to anyone interested in joining SFGC!
Saturday, May 19, 2–4pm Kanbar Performing Arts Center (44 Page St, San Francisco)
Wednesday, May 23, 4–6pm: Crowden Music Center (1475 Rose St, Berkeley)
Thursday, May 24, 4–6pm: Kanbar Performing Arts Center (44 Page St, San Francisco)
The ideal candidate for participation in the San Francisco Girls Chorus School is an energetic child possessing the musical attributes that are generally considered requisite for the highest standards of performance in choral music: the aptitude to listen and hear differences in pitch, the ability to match tones with the voice, the capability to imitate rhythms correctly, and an instinct for singing. Choristers must cooperate well with others, possess basic reading skills, be able to take verbal and written instruction for improvement, and have the capacity to focus and concentrate.
Upon gaining acceptance into the Chorus School, young singers have the unique opportunity to:
- Become members of an organization dedicated to the empowerment and advancement of girls and young women through excellence in music education and performance;
- Enjoy the company of nearly 300 choristers in bi-weekly rehearsals;
- Perform classical music, contemporary music, world music, and some musical theater under the guidance of a faculty of elite performers/educators;
- Study vocal technique and learn sight singing, study skills, and music theory;
- Attend a 7-10 day summer music camp and train with our expert faculty of professional musicians;
- Learn to perform with poise and confidence for Bay Area audiences!