Why The SFGC?
The San Francisco Girls Chorus provides an accessible, comprehensive music education and performance program that serves Bay Area girls from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds. Our program is founded on the highest standards of artistic excellence. The Chorus sets challenging goals and teaches the skills necessary to reach those goals. This fusion of art and skills –discipline, self-confidence, teamwork, perseverance, respect for others – shapes girls into confident, capable young women.
Learn more about the Chorus.
Facts and Figures
- The San Francisco Girls Chorus is a five-time Grammy-Award winning ensemble which has recorded 7 CDs and many LPs and cassettes.
- 400 girls and young women from all nine Bay Area counties participate in SFGC each year, including the SFGC Alumnae Chorus, the four-level Chorus School, and the Preparatory Chorus for 5 and 6-year-olds.
- 70+ live concerts each year reach 50,000 people.
- SFGC offers a free in-school outreach program, Creating Choral Music, to public schools and community centers in the Bay Area, reaching over 2,000 underserved youth per year.
- Approximately one third of choristers receive need-based scholarships.
- 50% of choristers are non-Caucasian
- Annual budget of $2.4 million
- Revenue sources: 40% donations and grants; 33% tuitions and fees; 8% performances and bookings; 18% Kanbar Performing Arts Center; and 1% other income.
- The San Francisco Girls Chorus prepares 100 selections in 12 languages and 16 parts.
- SFGC sings a diverse repertoire from classical, folk, world music and contemporary styles.
- The choral music repertoire spans 6 centuries and 22 languages.
- SFGC continues to be a leader and innovator in the field of choral arts, by commissioning leading composers to produce contemporary choral works.
|For more information or to mail a contribution, please contact:
- About SFGC
- Kanbar Center