Chorus School auditions are held in the summer and winter of each year for girls between the ages of 7 and 15. For younger applicants, no previous music experience is required. For older applicants, some experience reading music is necessary. Chorus School rehearsals are held in San Francisco or Berkeley.
The ideal candidate for participation in the San Francisco Girls Chorus School is a healthy, energetic child possessing the following music attributes that are generally considered requisite for the highest standards of performance in choral music: the aptitude to listen and hear differences in pitch, the ability to match tones with the voice, the capability to imitate rhythms correctly, and an instinct for singing. The girl should cooperate well with others; be able to take verbal and written instruction for improvement, and have the capacity to focus and concentrate. All students are accepted on a trial basis.
Upon gaining acceptance into the Chorus School, young singers have the unique opportunity to:
- Become members of an organization dedicated to the advancement of girls and young women through excellence in music.
- Enjoy the company of over 300 choristers in bi-weekly rehearsals.
- Perform classical, musical theater, and world music under the guidance of professional musicians.
- Study vocal technique and learn sight singing, study skills and music theory.
- Attend an 8 day music camp.
- Learn to perform with poise and confidence for Bay Area audiences.
Auditions take place every June and January. The next round of auditions will be on June 3, 4 and 6, 2015! For more information, please contact the audition hotline at 415-863-1752 x333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- About SFGC
- Kanbar Center